Old September 6th 08, 06:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Doug Doug is offline

Default Close roads, speed up traffic

On 5 Sep, 12:26, Tom Anderson wrote:
Science:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...riving-causes-...

I look forward to reading the paper, and to following development of these
ideas in the future.

The source says:

"Uncoordinated individuals in human society pursuing their personally
optimal strategies do not always achieve the social optimum, the most
beneficial state to the society as a whole. Instead, strategies form
Nash equilibria which are often socially suboptimal. Society,
therefore, has to pay a price of anarchy for the lack of coordination
among its members."

Or in other words, selfish drivers do not serve the common good and
give anarchists a bad name. Well, we knew that already didn't we.

--
World Carfree Network
http://www.worldcarfree.net/