Old September 11th 08, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Aldgate One Way System

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Jack Taylor wrote:

wrote:

Does anyone know where I could find maps/plans of the new traffic
routes around Aldgate? I saw a notice last night saying that traffic
will be taking new routes round there from this weekend with a 1am
implementation time. I don't know if this will be the full monty
though.

This is the best one that I've found. The ones in the Aldgate Masterplan
are a bit "Micky Mouse" and look like they were drawn by kids with too
many crayons!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23485861-details/Drivers+face+'racetrack'+chaos/article.do

Took me a while to work out exactly what that meant, but now i understand
it (which i think i do, anyway), it seems like a good idea.

Although i have to say that as a cyclist, i've always found the Aldgate
gyratory rather exciting. At one time i had an occasional journey from
Holloway to Stepney Green, which took me through the Highbury Corner, Old
Street, and Aldgate roundabouts. What fun!

The one thing that does really concern me is what happens to the road
between Leman St and Commercial St. At the moment, there's a short road
called Colchester St. Would this be obliterated, Leman St being extended
all the way to Whitechapel High Street? As a former resident of
Colchester, i strongly oppose this insult to our civic pride!

tom

--
It involves police, bailiffs, vampires and a portal to hell under a
tower block in Hackney.