Old December 1st 03, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Route 73 to be converted to Bendi Bus

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:49:31 +0000, Robert Woolley
wrote:

AFAIR, up to 10 passengers a year die from falling from the rear
platforms of Routemasters.

That's not a desirable feature of open platform operation....

Nor is the seat pitch (or the fact that you *have* to sit down -
sometimes I'd prefer to stand on a short journey). Or the cold in
winter. Or the slow boarding/alighting on a busy bus, and having to
fight your way to the back just like you do on single-doored
double-deckers which are thankfully rare in London (3 wide doors works
so much better than one narrow opening). Or the headroom, or lack
thereof.

They're an interesting curiosity, but I think the disadvantages by far
outweigh the advantages. Bring on the bendies, and perhaps some
quality full-size rigid single deckers like the RV1 Citaros rather
than that Dennis rubbish for other, quieter routes.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.