Old September 15th 08, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Changeless bus passenger denied boarding

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Simon wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 06:24:51 -0700 (PDT), Boltar
wrote:

On Sep 15, 10:18 am, Walter Briscoe
wrote:
On Sunday morning, about 08.00,I was on a 21 to Lewisham at London
Bridge/Monument. A passenger boarded and tried to pay with a twenty
pound note. The driver had no change and nor did other passengers. The
passenger was made to get off the bus. I was horrified and complained,
this morning, at 0845 300 7000. The stop is not "Pay before you board".
It seems the operator should have issued a pay later chit.

If they did that it would be a scam that would be soon abused. Perhaps
the passenger should have had some common sense and changed the note
in a shop beforehand anyway.

Shopkeepers are the bus companies bankers? They are paid by the bus
company for this service? The shop is open even if it exists? Perhaps
the bus company should give the drivers a reasonable float, after all
they do trust them with cash.

I agree that passengers should try to have the correct money but
sometimes plans fail.

This is, to my mind, a major hole in the payment arrangements for the
buses, and i believe i've ranted about this before. The problem is that
cash comes in doses of 10 or 20 pounds, as notes. You cannot get money
from a cash machine in any smaller quantity. Bus drivers may refuse these,
and you certainly can't use them in the little ticket machines at stops.
Thus, if you're not near an open shop, whether because you're somewhere
remote or it's late, you're a bit stuffed.

You're even stuffed if you have an oyster but no credit, because there's
no way to add credit to an oyster card outside station opening times. I've
been in a pickle trying to get home late at night on more than one
occasion due to this.

tom

--
Operate all mechanisms!