Old September 16th 08, 11:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Barry Salter Barry Salter is offline

Default One day travelcards and collection from fastticket machines

wrote:
Until recently, it has been possible to purchase an in-boundary one
day travelcard (one with a London station as the origin) on a
trainline-derivative booking site and then collect it from a
fastticket machine. This now appears to have changed.

snip

"I would like to inform you that according to the industry policy
rules, London Day Travelcards cannot be dispensed from a Self Service
Ticket Machine. Furthermore, I have passed the details to our
Development Team for review. We appreciate you taking the time out to
share your thoughts with us."

I can appreciate that "industry policy rules" may be trying to tackle
some sort of fraud (i.e. people buying an in-boundary travelcard from
an out-boundary station without a ticket to the boundary) but is this
really the case? Where are these rules?

That's a new one on me! The only "rules" I can think of are those in
"The Manual" (formerly Section K of the NFM) that state:

quote

'In-Boundary' [Off-Peak Day Travelcards]:

The origin station on the ticket must be located within the Fare Zones
that the ticket is being issued for.

Tickets issued to start at a station within the Travelcard area must not
include travel to a station outside the Travelcard area.

Tickets are valid for travel from 0930 Monday to Friday on the date
shown on the ticket, and can only be issued at stations:-

+ on the day of travel – from 0930 Monday to Friday (excluding Public
Holidays), except where trains are timed to depart at or soon after 0930
when they may be issued before 0930. This will normally be after the
departure of the last restricted train, but where the train service
operator allows they may be sold before then.

+ in advance – from 0930 Monday to Friday, any time at weekends, and
Public Holidays, up to 7 days in advance of the day for which the ticket
is dated.

/quote

I'm guessing they're referring to the first rule there, as there's no
way they can guarantee that you'll collect the ticket from an TVM in the
relevant Zonal Area, and the TVMs can't do remote origin, so they apply
a blanket ban.

Cheers,

Barry