Old September 16th 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Changeless bus passenger denied boarding

Tom Anderson wrote:

This is, to my mind, a major hole in the payment arrangements for the
buses, and i believe i've ranted about this before. The problem is that
cash comes in doses of 10 or 20 pounds, as notes. You cannot get money
from a cash machine in any smaller quantity.

Even today I still sometimes get £5 notes out of some HSBC branch machines.
It's not consistent though.