Old September 17th 08, 03:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Charles Ellson Charles Ellson is offline

Default One day travelcards and collection from fastticket machines

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:47:53 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On 16 Sep, 21:25, MIG wrote:

On Sep 16, 8:05*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On 16 Sep, 18:13, MIG wrote:

(snip)

But can you still get travelcards from shops that aren't dated till
they've been through a barrier? *Presumably one could buy them any
time, but you'd need to come to an understanding about the date
stamped on it.

The point you're making isn't exactly clear to me.

Well, if you wanted a travelcard to use the next day, it might work
barriers from when you first used it tomorrow (if that is how they
work) but if the shopkeeper stamped today's date on it, it wouldn't
pass a visual inspection on a bus tomorrow.

I thought that was the point you were making, but I wasn't entirely
clear of that.

To ask for it to be stamped with tomorrow's date would provide no
additional cheaty opportunities to what's always possible.

You could use it on the Underground and on buses today in the hope
no-one looks at the date and then use it tomorrow only on buses (where
the magnetic stripe isn't going to be read?).

Absolutely. I don't know what the rules are for TfL "Ticket Stops" -
i.e. how many days in advance they're allowed to sell the ticket - but
my guess is that it is the same as the National Rail rules, i.e. 7
days in advance. I've only ever bought one for 'tomorrow', beyond that
I wouldn't bother in case plans change - but for a whole host of
scenarios I can certainly see why buying several days in advance might
come in handy.