Old September 18th 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Changeless bus passenger denied boarding

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Matthew Dickinson wrote:

On 18 Sep, 14:46, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:

It doesn't address the problem with recharging your oyster at night,
though. I would have thought that could be done fairly simply by having
some oyster machines - which could be of the card-only type - on the
outside of tube stations, and so accessible outside opening hours.

Great for the tube areas but what about those parts of London where the
tube is not within walking distance? Virtually all the shops that charge
Oysters that I know of close at least two hours before the tube does.

True.

The situation i was primarily thinking of is trying to get home after a
night out, where generally, i'm in the middle of town where there are lots
of tube stations. I would imagine this pattern accounts for the majority
of post-closing-time bus use, although of course not all.

I'm stumped as to how you could deal with the problem in the situation you
describe, though. Night buses don't take cash, so no solution involving a
chit is going to work. Putting chip-and-pin on buses seems like a
non-starter. I think that means you have to put fixed machines around the

As part of the upgrade process for Oystercard readers to accept ITSO
cards, the readers will be upgraded to accept Visa Wave and
Mastercard Paypass cards.

https://www.swiftcommunity.net/blogs...ail.cfm?id=448

Cool!

tom