Old September 19th 08, 03:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default NLL Camden Road work package reduced

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Jamie Thompson wrote:

On 19 Sep, 09:46, Mr Thant
wrote:

The connections at the other end are more important - the Goblin has no
equivalent to Canonbury tunnel, meaning southbound ECML trains can't
get onto it eaily. Plus anything electric. Plus various occasional
traffic like diverted sleepers heading for the ECML.

There appears to be a eastwards single track link between Harringay
and the Goblin:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...08583&t=h&z=18

...though there's no easy way for southbound trains to use it to go
east without reversing, if that's what you meant.

How important is the ECML as a freight route?

The electrics issue should have been sorted out by now, and I think
it'll happen once a few hands are eventually forcing into writing some
cheques, and the diverted sleepers must surely fall into the somewhat
rare category. Though I've got nothing to back that assertion up.

If TPTB felt so inclined, I guess they could link to the MML at West
Hampstead or ideally, near the Goblin's link:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?f=q...,0.013089&z=17

There's already a link from the westbound (what you call southbound there)
Goblin to the northbound MML, which is what freight trains need. A link
from the westbound Goblin to the southbound MML seems less useful - unless
you're thinking of opening a freight terminal at Kentish Town?

Indeed, what's currently missing from the system is your blue line - a way
for westbound freight on the NLL to get onto the MML. Score one for the
Goblin! I don't believe there's any way for it to do this without
reversing at the moment, and even with a reverse, it has to go via the
WCML, Acton Wells and Dudden Hill. Or am i missing something?

tom

--
got a DOCTORATE in cold ROCKIN' IT