Old September 19th 08, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Addon prices for Day Travelcards

In article 01c919ef$abc89fe0$LocalHost@default, (Michael
R N Dolbear) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote

Does anyone here understand the logic by which TOCs decide the addon
cost of Day Travelcards over Day Returns to London Terminals?

I don't know.

Looking at a random selection of towns and cities around London most
seem to be in the range £2.50-£4.50 (before railcard discounts). All
except FCC, that is. The Huntingdon addon is £5 while Cambridge
seems to have to highest of all at £6.

Above £4.50 and the point of Travelcards is destroyed for most users
who only make 2 tube journeys and have railcards and Oyster.

But I don't follow your logic, why £4.50 ?

(2+z1 Oyster tube, £3.00 - Oyster cap Z1-2 £4.80, £3.10 with railcard)

(Walton-on-Thames off-peak £11.60-£7.60 super-off-peak £10.00-£6.50
so £4.00 and £3.50).

My logic was that £4.50 railcard discounted is £3, or anyway below the
cap. With a railcard from Cambridge you can pay more either way. Make
only two zone one journeys and a Travelcard is more expensive but make
three and using Oyster will be more expensive. Sometimes you just don't
know what to buy because you don't know what tube travel you will make.
Without a railcard Oyster is always cheaper of course. You don;t get
Oyster capping discounts with a Network Card, by the way.

--
Colin Rosenstiel