Old September 21st 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default FGW Oystercard PAYG

On 21 Sep, 15:57, Barry Salter wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
Ticket offices being able to issue Oyster products is theoretically no
big deal, as an Oyster pad device known as 'Pearl' should be attached
to the ticket issuing equipment, which - with an appropriate software
update - should then be able to issue such tickets. AIUI that's the
theory at least.

AFAIK, Pearl is the "standalone" Oyster only device being rolled out
across "Ticket Stops" that don't already have Oyster capabilities.

The only "Next Generation" [National Rail] Ticket Issuing System with
Oyster functionality that I'm aware of is Cubic's FasTIS+.

I stand corrected!

The reasons I mentioned Pearl is that the new Pearl pads at "Oyster
Ticket Stops" look similar to those used in NR ticket offices. I'll
try and find that TfL document that discussed the Pearl kit, I seem to
recall it being described as 'all purpose' or somesuch.

Apols for disseminating incorrect info about whether all NR ticket
offices' kit could easily be adapted to handle Oyster - I must admit
that, now you've said it, I recall reading something (probably one of
your past posts!) about the Cubic system being the only one that could
handle Oyster.

Is there no chance that the Fujitsu Star system could be adapted to
deal with it? And I forget - any idea which system Southern have at
their ticket offices?