Old September 22nd 08, 06:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default 378 move and GOB to be DC?

On 22 Sep, 17:58, "Paul Scott" wrote:
'Rail Manager online' reporting the first 378 to travel south tomorrow, and
the possibility of Third Rail electrification of the GOB line...

http://91.186.0.3/~keepingt/rm/164/RMAN_164.pdf

Reading the article, I wonder if they're just throwing the suggestion
into the arena as the result of frustration in trying to get any
progress on 25kV electrification. If the DfT is receptive to cheaper
third rail electrification, then perhaps they can be gradually
persuaded that going the full 25kV hog is worthwhile. Perhaps this is
just a gambit to get other "industry partners" to stand up and be
counted and get behind TfL's campaign for OHLE - possibly the
assumption thus far from freight operators is that TfL were going to
make it happen so they didn't need to do anything?

My other more cynical thought is whether this is the result of Boris
budget cuts at TfL - but AFAICS TfL were never going to be the primary
source of funding for this, the majority of the dosh was going to come
from the DfT.