Old September 24th 08, 08:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default 378 move and GOB to be DC?

On 24 Sep, 07:37, MIG wrote:

On Sep 24, 1:40*am, Mizter T wrote:

On 23 Sep, 21:56, Rupert Candy wrote:

On Sep 22, 5:58*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

'Rail Manager online' reporting the first 378 to travel south tomorrow, and
the possibility of Third Rail electrification of the GOB line...

http://91.186.0.3/~keepingt/rm/164/RMAN_164.pdf

There's a sizeable feature in this week's Railway Herald
(www.railwayherald.com) about the 378s, with several pictures. Anyone
else struck by the lack of handles at useful heights for that massive
standing space in between the seats? You'd think they'd have learnt
their lesson from the 376s.

I'd seen this photo and had a similar thought about the lack of
handles: http://www.upmain.fotopic.net/p53614368.html

However I wonder if the bars which are suspended from the ceiling
might actually be low enough for many people to use. If not perhaps
they might have to add straps or handles to those bars - indeed,
perhaps that's already part of the plan?

After the way the 376s were delivered, I could believe anything.

I entirely accept the need for standing space, but surely by now it's
bleedin obvious that this can't be achieved by mixing seating and
standing space in the same part of the carriage.

If it's bleedin obvious it ain't bleedin obvious to me. The seating
configuration on the 376 is obviously different, indeed one could say
that the longitudinal seats on the 378s are a result of this
experience.

It would be better to have areas purely for standing either side of
the doors (slighly bigger than in 376s, without obstructions and with
plenty to hold on to) and short areas of transverse seating in
between. *Longitudinal seating may appear to leave standing space
according to calculations, but in real life, space full of seated
people's legs and heads can't realistically be used for anything like
as much standing as a dedicated standing area.

It seems to work OK on the Underground.