Old September 24th 08, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default 378 move and GOB to be DC?

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:44:13 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:01:24 +0100, Barry Salter
wrote:

The main issue with the NLL, GOB and "core" ELL is one of platform
length, or lack thereof (though in the case of the GOB route, it's more
a lack of *serviceable* platform length, as a few of the stations still
retain their full length platforms, albeit with most of the length
fenced off).

True, but none of the examples you cite are on the Euston-Watford
line, which is very much a poor relation compared with Merseyrail and
its ilk - a service with which it has many potential similarities.

Are there any actual 2-car platforms on the GOBLIN? I thought they
were all far longer than the trains, hence my criticism of the use of
2-car DMUs when maybe 4 would be more suitable.

From memory (so possibly incorrect!)

Gospel Oak - can certainly take 2 two car units as the peak extra unit
stables there midday.
Upper Holloway - loads of space on existing platform
Crouch Hill - loads of space on existing platform
Harringey Green Lanes - not overly long but could be extended eastwards.
South Tottenham - Barry has discussed this one already.
Blackhorse Road - just over 2 car lengths long but could be extended.
Walthamstow Queens Road - loads of space on existing platform
Leyton Midland Road - loads of space on existing platform
Leytonstone High Road - loads of space on existing platform
Wanstead Park - loads of space on existing platform
Woodgrange Park - loads of space on existing platform
Barking - not 100% certain but I think there's plenty of room.

Where the old platforms were removed or stations moved the replacement
platforms have tended to be much shorter than their predecessors.

--
Paul C