Old September 25th 08, 07:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default 378 move and GOB to be DC?

On Sep 25, 1:38*am, Mizter T wrote:
On 24 Sep, 22:04, wrote:

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

ELLX2 would take the pressure off London Bridge at a very opportune
time - that of the Thameslink reconstruction - but the service that's
getting kicked out of London Bridge because there's not enough space,
the Victoria to LB South London Line service, is going to get a quasi-
replacement that will run from Victoria to Bellingham via Peckham Rye
(or at least that's the strong recommendation of the sarf lahndon
RUS). I just fear that the DfT might think that it has done its bit
with that and thus ignore calls for ELLX2.

So if I got to Denmark Hill station, how would I get to Central London
without the South London Line service?

The South London Line isn't the only service that serves Denmark Hill.
I'll run through them - (these are off-peak service patters BTW,
there's a few extra rush hour trains to and from Victoria though none
of these are SLL services).

* The aforementioned South London Line (SLL) service - half-hourly
service calling at all stations between Victoria and London Bridge via
Peckham Rye. Runs seven days a week.

* Blackfriars to Sevenoaks service - half hourly service calling at
all stations from Blackfriars to Sevenoaks via Peckham Rye and
Swanley. Runs Monday to Saturday, on Sunday this service does run but
from Victoria rather than Blackfriars - hence it doesn't call at
Elephant & Castle, instead it runs fast between Victoria and Denmark
Hill.

* Victoria to Dartford service via Lewisham - half hourly service,
runs fast between Victoria and Denmark Hill then all stations to
Dartford via Lewisham and Bexleyheath. Runs Monday to Saturday only,
no Sunday service. Also this service finishes altogether in mid-
evening.

---

So, let's fast forward to the brave new world. The SLL service as it
stands is set to finish for three main reasons - (1) there's not going
to be enough space in the rebuilt London Bridge to accommodate it
because the station will have fewer terminating platforms;
(2) the main platforms at Battersea Park are set to be extended to
handle longer suburban trains - because of the layout of the station
this will mean that the extended platforms will foul the junction with
the SLL and hence SLL services are to be sacrificed to this end;
(3) the south central side of Victoria station is too busy, getting
rid of the SLL will provide more platform capacity for other suburban
services.

However, there is a plan for a replacement South London Line service -
I've called it "SLL2" before so I will do so again but do note that's
not its official name! SLL2 will run from the less congested south
eastern side of Victoria, it will completely bypass Battersea Park
station altogether by taking a different route,

I didn't know that. Sounds like the loss of a useful diversion route.

So it will have to use Stewarts Lane in both directions, which will be
a bit of a pinch.

it will then call at
all stations from Wandsworth Road via Denmark Hill to Peckham Rye,
then instead of turning towards London Bridge it will carry on along
the Catford Loop line calling at Nunhead, Crofton Park, Catford and
then terminate at Bellingham (where there are sidings it can make use
of).

In this new world there will not be any direct trains from Denmark
Hill to London Bridge - those wishing to make this journey by rail
will need to take the first train from DH to Peckham Rye then one of
the frequent services from there to London Bridge.

(Significantly less frequent without the service from Denmark Hill
though.)

But only the potential ELLX services could provide a convenient
interchange at Peckham Rye by the sound of it. Otherwise a trek
through ****-soaked, concrete staircases for people who don't normally
see Peckham except through the train window.

Not a very attractive route to London Bridge for people who currently
have a regular train service, including large numbers of hospital
staff.

My bet is that with the coming recession, extended platforms at
Battersea Park won't be used, and ELLX2 won't happen, so it will be a
loss of service with no corresponding benefit. Happy to be proved
wrong though ...