Old September 25th 08, 10:22 AM posted to uk.misc,uk.local.scot-highlands,uk.transport.london
Sam Nelson Sam Nelson is offline

Default Public transport - why?

In article ,
August West writes:
For me, train takes 20 minutes, door to door; the car 45-60. Cost of
train: about fiver; just parking the car costs rather more than that.

Bus to work and back would be about GBP2.50 each way (depends on the driver
and which buses turn up). They've just allowed staff to have the student-
discount card, which gets half-fare on some buses. Working out the bus-fare
is extremely complicated and effectively non-deterministic. I can't help
thinking that the bus company must like it that way.

Car takes 12-18 minutes for 6.8 miles (excluding outliers like snow/ice/fog
and obstruction by accidents) which is a little bit more than a litre of fuel
for the trip. Car-parking at works costs ~50p/day. Considering I have the
car anyway, the timing and arithmetic is pretty clear.

I'm in central Scotland, too.

Likewise. Still getting to work by car. If I need to do _anything_ other
than just go to work and come back (bit of shopping, etc.), which I do maybe
one day a week) bus is a no-hoper.
--
SAm.