Old September 27th 08, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default 378 move and GOB to be DC?

On 26 Sep, 22:26, wrote:

In article
,
(Rupert Candy) wrote:

On Sep 24, 10:04*pm, wrote:

So if I got to Denmark Hill station, how would I get to Central London
without the South London Line service?

On a Dartford - Victoria or Sevenoaks - Blackfriars service. (Of
course, the latter will be a Sevenoaks - somewhere in Thameslink North
land service from next March...)

Not exactly on the way to Liverpool Street though.

For a Denmark Hill aka Camberwell to Liverpool Street journey I have
to say that going via the SLL to London Bridge would not be the first
thing that popped into my head.

Incidentally I don't know how you get from London Bridge to Liverpool
Street - do you take the Northern line to Moorgate and walk round the
corner, or do you take a bus?
(One can take a Circle/Met/H&C train one stop from Moorgate to
Liverpool St station, but I'd choose to walk it at street level as I
think it's just as quick - I suppose the Circle line at Liverrpool
Street does deliver you fairly close to the concourse though. That
said, if I was using Oyster PAYG for my journey on the mainline trains
out of LST then I'd quite possibly go to Liverpool St Underground
station so I could take advantage of being charged for one continuous
journey rather than two separate journeys.)

Anyway, my alternate routes from DH/Camberwell to Liverpool St would
either be to take a bus (routes 185/ 36/ 436) up Camberwell New Road
to Oval tube station then Northern line to Moorgate, or just take a
bus all the way - the 35 and 42 go from Camberwell Green to Liverpool
St, the 40 goes to Aldgate which is a v short walk away, or if one is
feeling adventurous and is prepared to grapple with the somewhat
esoteric ways of Elephant & Castle one can bus hop (i.e. first bus
from Camberwell to E&C, then one of three bus routes on to Liverpool
St). And yes, I'd genuinely say that taking a bus off-peak might well
compare quite favourably to your option of taking a train from DH to
London Bridge and then doing whatever it is that you do. However I'm
aware that often my efforts to persuade people that the bus is a
legitimate option worthy of consideration are just exercises in
futility!

Yet more options could involve taking the train from DH to E&C then
taking the Northern line to Moorgate, or taking a bus from Camberwell
to E&C then the tube, or variations thereof.

Tom Anderson's suggestion of the possibility of taking a direct train
from DH to Farringdon (post-March '09) is also actually a very good
one in my mind - but I'll address what I think are your slightly
misplaced concerns about that downthread...