Old September 27th 08, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default 378 move and GOB to be DC?

On 27 Sep, 10:06, wrote:

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, wrote:

In article

,
(Rupert Candy) wrote:

On Sep 24, 10:04*pm, wrote:

So if I got to Denmark Hill station, how would I get to Central
London without the South London Line service?

On a Dartford - Victoria or Sevenoaks - Blackfriars service. (Of
course, the latter will be a Sevenoaks - somewhere in Thameslink
North land service from next March...)

Not exactly on the way to Liverpool Street though.

Once the trains are running through, you can change at Farringdon.

A long way round though. Denmark Hill - London Bridge - Liverpool St is a
fairly direct route.

Err, not really - in fact, I'd argue that the via Farringdon route is
as direct as going via London Bridge.

I'm not sure how you get from London Bridge to Liverpool Street? If
it's by tube, then one has to negotiate one's way to the tube station
at London Bridge which is a bit convoluted - then the Northern line
will take you to Moorgate, from whence you either walk or take the
Circle line one stop to Liverpool Street.

If instead you take the bus from London Bridge to Liverpool Street,
then whilst there are four routes that do this journey only two of
them (the 48 and 149) actually go from the bus station directly
outside the concourse - if one wants the possibility of catching any
of them one has to makes ones way to the bus stop on the south side of
London Bridge itself.

Meanwhile the train from DH will take you directly to Farringdon,
whence you just need to cross over to the eastbound Cicle/Met/H&C
platform (possibly using the new wide footbridge that's currently
under construction) and then it's just three stops to Liverpool Street
itself. I will grant you that the train is likely to dawdle a bit from
Blackfriars to Farringdon, as all Thameslink trains currently do -
when Thameslink 2000 (sic) is eventually complete this will be far
nippier.

With regards to which route is "direct" - well the train from DH to
London Bridge swings right out to the east through east Peckham and
Bermondsey before approaching LB, which is hardly geographically very
direct as . Meanwhile the train from DH to Farringdon instead takes a
route that more or less goes directly north into and then through
central London.- then from Farringdon one just needs to go due east
for about a mile.

So I'd have to take you up on your assertion that the Farringdon route
would be "the long way round" and the London Bridge route is "fairly
direct".