Old October 8th 08, 11:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default Crossrail Update

MIG wrote:
On Oct 6, 4:35 pm, Boltar wrote:
On Oct 4, 2:27 pm, lonelytraveller

wrote:
loved Astoria when they could demolish the much despised Centrepoint;

I quite like centrepoint. As far as 60s/70s towers go its one of the
better ones.

The tower isn't the thing on my mind every time my mind boggles yet
again at the attitudes that must have prevailed in so many minds and
institutions at the same time when a whole block was built in the
centre of a city without a pavement to walk on.

Didn't the mindset go:

1) The USA is wonderful
2) No one walks in the USA
3) Ergo no provision for pedestrians is wonderful.

A lot of modern buildings on TCR northbound are set back, indicating a
desire at some point to widen the street, which may have contributed to
the lack of pedestrian access.

A study of changing attitudes to the USA over the last sixty years is
instructive - my grandad, who was Irish from the generation that still
saw emigration westwards as something that happened to extra good boys,
thought gold grew out of the streets there. My Dad grew up at the time
of Vietnam and has a substantially more jaundiced view. I, growing up
in the 1980s, think it's a nice place to visit but as a country it's
nothing special and could do with a tidy up and a lick of paint. Much
prefer European cities like Brussels, personally.

Tom