Old October 14th 08, 09:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
furnessvale furnessvale is offline

Default Tories 20BN railway to replace Heathrow expansion (St Pancras isHeathrow T6, again)

On Oct 13, 10:58�pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:58:32 -0700 (PDT), John B
wrote:

I'd be interested to see any studies on the cost per km of a new 225km/
h line versus the cost of a new LGV - and rather surprised if they
were significantly different.

Do we need another line for that, though, or would we be better off,
say, spending the money on lengthening platforms and extending all the
Pendolinos to 14 cars?

We need new lines for the additional capacity as existing lines are
filling rapidly. The new lines might as well be of a reasonably high
speed as the major cost is the price of land. We can debate the final
max speed about five years after we start to build the blasted things.
(Unless of course we insist on swerving acutely round every SSSI en
route).

George