Old October 18th 08, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fare Evasion

In article ,
(Reg M) wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:15:13 +0100, reea
wrote:

I was caught using someone elses freedom pass in error instead of my
own oyster on London Underground. My details were taken but I wasn't
given an on the spot fine. i have only just recieved a summons. I
used the freedom pass in error, I happend to be carrying it on the
day and used the freedom pass instead of my own oyster card. I have
a record on my oyster card that on the first leg of my journey i
used my oyster card - the revenue inspector was not interested. The
statement he has put together is slightly inaccurate also. I am due
in court in 4 weeks and haven't a clue what to do. I have read many
forums and some people are saying to plead guilty to get a lighter
fine. I'm not concerned about the fine but the criminal record that
may be attached to this event. I also read that it could be an idea
to call the prosecution manager and to and plead an out of court
settlement - is this something anyone would recommend. Is it worth
hiring a solicitor or should I represent myself. It was a genuine
error and I do not want to receive a criminal record because of it.
Can someone advise if found guilty and fined that also means you get
a criminal record? Or you can escape a criminal record with just a
fine. I am very muddled and I don't know what to do, I'm absolutely
terrified of what is going to happen. Any answers or advice would be
appreciated. Thanks.

There are a couple of newsgroups, uk.legal.moderated and uk.legal
which may give some advice. I think the suggestion to go to the
Citizens Advice is good. Mistakes happen, just stick to the truth,
don't embellish on it and maybe the court will accept your story.

Any conviction by a court will generate a criminal record. In this case it
looks as if evidence will be more important. Both Oystercard records for a
start.

--
Colin Rosenstiel