Old October 18th 08, 11:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Rare Mileage in London

On Oct 18, 8:27*pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

Is rebuilding the Canal Market the council's responsibility? It's
privately owned.

My thoughts exactly, though I wasn't 100% sure of it's ownership so I
didn't comment earlier. It's silly to bash the council out of reflex
without when it's not their responsibility, and it's also silly to
assume everything is the responsibility of local councils. Perhaps the
whole matter is in the domain of the insurers at the mo, hence the
slow progress - but that's just supposition, I'm not up on the matter.

That said, The Hawley Arms has been rebuilt and is due to reopen in the next
couple of weeks - so not everyone is dragging their feet in getting the
damage repaired and the area back to normal.

Camden Market rebuilding.

The Hawley Arms is nowhere near re-opening. The Council is insisting
upon better emergency exits which is causing an amount of rebuilding
above repairing the damage from the fire.

I also understand from the Camden Journal that it is the Council's
Planning Department that is dragging its feet about the rebuilding of
the Lock Market. I expect that the propery developers are also eyeing
up the site for yet more glass fronted office blocks.

However as I said - the greatest destruction is from the greedy
property developers in turning the old horse tunnels and hospital into
glass fronted offices.

CJB.