Old October 21st 08, 08:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Shenanigans at Paddington

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 05:14:22 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

Yesterday evening - Monday 20'th - in the middle of the rush hour -
the LED departure board system at Paddington went u/s. THOUSANDS of
commuters ended up milling around with no-one knowing which platforms
their respective trains were departing from. The hapless staff knew
even less, and there wasn't a gold-braided manager in sight. Naturally
Paddington being one of the least organised of our major stations,
train departures never have regular departure platforms - unlike say
Amsterdam where the platforms are timetabled and rarely switched - no-
one knew what the hell was going on.

Do they deliberately not use fixed platforms, like the farce at Euston
that results in the race every time a train is called?

Neil

--
Neil Williams