Old October 22nd 08, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Boris admits bendy-buses are safe - but he'll axe them anyway

In message
of
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:08:16 in uk.transport.london, John B
writes

[snip]

The people of London didn't want Boris as their mayor. The people of
various unsavoury outposts that the Tories gerrymandered into Greater
London in the first place to end Labour's dominance of the County of
London wanted Boris as their mayor; the people of actual London voted
for Ken.

Your memory of history differs from mine.
ISTR Mrs Thatcher's government eliminated the GLC and ILEA. At the time,
I thought that adding another ring of buroughs to London could have
served her purpose, permanently gerrymandered London and be justified
from a transport perspective.

ISTR the mayoralty was created by a Labour government and the 3
elections have resulted in Independent Labour, Labour and Conservative.

Hubris is an occupational hazard for politicians. I changed my vote in
response to the westward extension of congestion charging and the
Chelsea tractor proposals. Personally, I abominate them but saw no
reason to charge them more than heavy goods vehicles. The congestion
charge was extended in directions which had little to do with
congestion.

As a motorist and cyclist, I hate bendy-buses; as a pedestrian, I love
them because fares are voluntary.
--
Walter Briscoe