Old October 22nd 08, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Boris admits bendy-buses are safe - but he'll axe them anyway

John B gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

That presupposes, of course, that those who live in outer London always
stay there and never head inside the Circulars, or the Ring Road, or
whatever your arbitrary boundary may be...

There's a legal definition of Inner London; I was going with that...

Three, actually...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_London

For rail and tube transport, you're right. For bus transport, I disagree
- there are very few people who live in outer London boroughs and
commute into the centre via bus; buses are a way of getting people
between parts of outer London, of getting people between parts of inner
London, and of getting poor people from inner London into the centre
(and walking from Thamesmead, Stamford Hill or Hampstead Heath to the
centre isn't really commutable).

True. But since Thamesmead isn't part of one definition, whilst the third
stretches to areas not even under GLA control at one point...

There's definitely some logic in having local control of bus services,
with the people of Hillingdon voting to keep genteel single deckers,
whilst the people of Tower Hamlets vote for bendies to funnel them into
the centre - but realistically I think it's be too administratively
complex and having it all done by TfL is more sensible.

Indeed. TfAL, not TfIL.

There's also those of us who live outside the boroughs whilst still
being heavily affected by TfL and the GLA, yet get no representation.

...or taxation.

looks at price rises in fares