Old October 23rd 08, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Boris admits bendy-buses are safe - but he'll axe them anyway

Boltar wrote:
On Oct 23, 10:29 am, MIG wrote:
If the cement truck was indicating, I might hold back in that
situation, but otherwise I'd try to get to the front. So indicating

Whats the point of going to the front of a queue anyway? Unless its
really busy traffic they'll all overtake you in seconds as soon as the
light changes so what have you gained?

Maybe - but at the next queue the bike will pass again and probably stay
in front this time. Equally often, you're straight into the next queue.

The queue exists because more cars are trying to get through than one
cycle of the lights can accommodate. I filter on my bike to ensure that
I only have to wait one cycle. It may not be necessary to go all the way
to the front - but there may be no other gaps in the queue.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.