Old October 23rd 08, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Boris admits bendy-buses are safe - but he'll axe them anyway

Boltar wrote:
On Oct 23, 3:25 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
They could put the engine on top of the cab.

That would make the transmission a bit complicated, though.

Would probably look quite good though I suppose in theory they
could have the engine offset to one side and have a one person only
cab on the other side at the same level. Though I suspect HGV drivers
actually like their high up view lording it over the rest of us

Yes. And for that reason such a design wouldn't sell, unless made
compulsory.

I'd have the driver in front of the engine and under the load -
containers ride higher than the roof of many cars.

This would improve forward and side visibility, and stop the driver
feeling superior.

Also he would know that in a severe collision he'd get the engine in his
back followed by the load on his head!

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.