Old October 23rd 08, 08:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Shenanigans at Paddington

On 2008-10-23 17:08:42 +0100, TimB said:

(snip)

For the last three years I have lived and worked in Munich and I can
confirm that the number of platforms available in the Hauptbahnhof (the
2 'wing' stations as well as the main hall) means that long distance
trains are ready for boarding for up to 30 minutes before departure.
(Apart from, of course, those that work to and from Salzburg and
reverse in the Hbf). At Muenchen-Pasing however there is one island
platform for the trains to and from both the Garmisch-Partenkirchen /
Innsbrück and to Buchloe / Kempten / Oberstdorf routes. Any delay and
trains have to be switched around - as this is an island the change is
not difficult, but you should listen to the complaints!

At Paddington in the peaks, because of the limited number of platforms
the longer distance trains have to turn round in about 15 to 25
minutes, or less if an arriving train is delayed. Effectively only
platforms 1 to 10 are available of which 6 and 7 are reserved for the
Heathrow Express, i.e. there are only 8 usable platforms. Muenchen Hbf
has more than 3 times as many.

So to reach German levels of boarding time the number of trains leaving
any platform in a given period has to be reduced. However to maintain
the same capacity, some other work has to be done. Either:

a) the trains, and therefore the platforms, have to be lengthened -
possibly also further down the line
b) if the trains are not lengthened then the number of platforms has to
be increased. As the station and its roof is listed this means that
station can only be widened.

or c) put in some underground platforms and call it Crossrail.
* Tim

Absolutely, it would help a little bit more if Heathrow Express also
went underground. *The reason I didn't mention Crossrail was that
earlier in the thread there was a suggestion that the inability to
offer consistent platform allocation and longer boarding times was
partly due to incompetence. I was trying to show that this was not
necessarily the case.

Anyway, if we assume that the traffic using Platforms 11 to 14 at
Paddington is transferred to Crossrail and the platforms could be
converted to accommodate longer trains that still gives a total of only
14 platforms compared to the 36 surface platforms in Munich. There is
also an underground island platform on the S-Bahn which pumps out 28 to
30 trains per hour in each direction in the peaks for the local
traffic; the surface platforms really are used for the outer-suburban
and long distance trains only.

So even with 14 full length platforms at Paddington it will be
difficult to match German long distance dwell times. And Munich has a
population of only 1.35 million compared to London's 10 million.

I think we'll still have to rush....

I'm not really up to date with this - was there not some possibility
(should it actually really happen) that Crossrail might eat the
Heathrow Express service altogether (longer journey times offset by
the fact that Crossrail doesn't stop at Paddington)? I take it as a
given that Crossrail would eat up Heathrow Connect.