Old October 24th 08, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Boris admits bendy-buses are safe - but he'll axe them anyway

On Oct 23, 5:13 pm, Colin McKenzie wrote:
Boltar wrote:
On Oct 23, 3:25 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
They could put the engine on top of the cab.

That would make the transmission a bit complicated, though.

Would probably look quite good though I suppose in theory they
could have the engine offset to one side and have a one person only
cab on the other side at the same level. Though I suspect HGV drivers
actually like their high up view lording it over the rest of us

Yes. And for that reason such a design wouldn't sell, unless made
compulsory.

Well , it has other problems in that he'd have bugger all visibility
on one side which would make the situation with regards to cyclists
and every other road user worse , not better.

This would improve forward and side visibility, and stop the driver
feeling superior.

Wouldn't do much for stability though with the load up high.

Also he would know that in a severe collision he'd get the engine in his
back followed by the load on his head!

It probably would make the more gung ho drivers a bit more reserved ,
but the extra height would probably be an issue. Things could be worse
though - we could have bonneted trucks like in the states where the
driver has 6 foot of engine between him and whatever he hits.

B2003