Old October 28th 08, 09:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Barry Salter Barry Salter is offline

Default NatEx looks to close Dot2Dot

Theo Markettos wrote:

I can see there might be a niche: those who want to get to Heathrow from
Docklands or the City without having to get to Paddington first. But I
don't know what the journey time is like. dot2dot does seem to be
effectively a black cab that's just enough of a bus to allow it to use bus
lanes.

I sampled dot2dot when I went to Germany recently, travelling from
Liverpool Street Station at around 1pm.

On the outward journey, I was the only passenger (and it transpired that
the driver had been waiting at Finsbury Square for about 15 minutes as
he was running early!) and it took just 58 minutes to get there, even
with a traffic jam by St Paul's Cathedral holding us up.

On the return journey I wasn't so lucky. As well as me (from T5), the
Driver had a number of other passengers to pick up from T4, with drop
offs at the Union Jack Club (Waterloo East), Northumberland Avenue, The
Thistle Euston, and me at Liverpool Street.

If memory serves, that ended up taking the best part of two hours,
possibly more, thanks to roadworks and traffic jams en route.

Where dot2dot beat cabs is on luggage space. Thanks to underfloor
luggage stowage, each passenger can take one item of hand luggage and
two suitcases free, with extra bags being charged at £3 one way, £5
return. Try fitting enough luggage for four people for a week in a
taxi...It doesn't work!

Cheers,

Barry