Old October 30th 08, 12:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Penalty fare increase

On Oct 30, 12:04*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 30 Oct, 11:55, MIG wrote:

But if there's a low conviction rate when someone gets a proper
hearing in court, is that really an argument for punishment without
trial?

Hang on - you can refuse a penalty fare and go to court, can't you?

I can't remember any sob stories about people found guilty in court
though. *The press stories are usually about people being hassled for
extra money on trains. *It's demanding money on the spot rather than
prosecution that leads to press stories.

I'm talking about the "TfL wastes thousands prosecuting [photogenic
sympathetic white-collar worker] over a 90p bus fare" type stories.

(usually coupled with gripes about Oyster touching in, which I believe
is a cause you're sympathetic too)

Oh I remember what I was thinking of in a comment upthread.

In a week where, due to a non-functioning machine, I had a zone 1 - 2
paper travelcard, I was thinking of going to Rickmansworth. That
should have cost me £2 return PAYG from the boundary.

If I touched in and out at Baker Street I would pay £4 too much
overall.

If I went through the Baker Street barrier with the paper travelcard
and touched only at Rickmansworth I would pay £8 too much.

If I got off at Wembley Park and waited for the next train while
touching in, I would pay the correct fare but would be without a valid
ticket if gripped between Willesden Green and Wembley Park, and then
at risk of the full penalty fare (the relevant bit, but my most likely
plan).

If I got the Jubilee, got off at Willesden Green etc, I would not be
at risk but would hugely increase my journey time.

And all that hassle because the machine wasn't working and TfL won't
issue reasonably priced extensions to holders of paper travelcards.