Old October 30th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stephen Osborn[_2_] Stephen Osborn[_2_] is offline

Default Sharing an Oyster PAYG

"Tim Woodall" wrote in message
e.uk...

No, only one person can use a PAYG card at a time.

Thanks all for the clarification

But get an oyster card for each of your friends and then return it to
get the 3GBP deposit back when they leave. (Make sure they don't have
any unresolved journeys)

Nice idea but unfortunately impractical. The problem is that Oyster PAYG is
essentially a Tube system and I live in SE London and I almost exclusively
use trains & buses.

To get a refund the TFL website says to go to a Tube station but my nearest
one is c. 6 miles by crows flight.

I would like to have Auto top-up but to convert my card to that I have to
designate a Tube (or Tram/DLR) station and the next time I make a journey
through that station using my Oyster it will happen. However to get to a
Tube station I have to get a train first and so when I go into central
London I buy a paper one day Travelcard and don't use my Oyster.

N.B. Only top up the oyster cards with cash. Once you've used a credit
card to top it up, getting the remaining balance back becomes more
complicated.

Thanks for that tip.

Stephen