Old October 31st 08, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mr Thant Mr Thant is offline

Default Sharing an Oyster PAYG

On 31 Oct, 13:13, Boltar wrote:
On Oct 31, 1:05 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 31 Oct, 12:41, Boltar wrote:

Why shouldn't they be transfered? The money has been
paid for a service for X days, end of story.

But how much service have you paid for? TfL define it as "as much
usage as one person can make of the card in one month", and you're
defining it as "as much usage as whoever has the card can make in one
month". Given the latter is higher than the former, you clearly are
getting more service than you've paid for, at least according to the
terms.

Given that AFAIK its not required to give your name and address if you
buy a weekly (not sure about a monthly) , then the implication is its
not tied to a single individual, you're simply buying a service that
can used by whoever has the card.

It may well state in the smallprint
somewhere that only a single person can use it but if they can't
define that single person thats tough luck. After all, someone may go
out and buy a card for someone else in cash - so who is entitled to
use it - the person who bought it or the one it was bought for?

It actually say it may be not be "transferred", which suggests the act
of passing it from one person to another is what's prohibited.

Though actually I note the rule doesn't actually prohibit what we're
discussing - "If you have a season ticket on your Oyster card,
you cannot transfer it to anyone else to pay as they go." I can't see
any wording that says you can't transfer it to someone else to use the
season part.

btw, Blockbuster say:
"You agree to [...] the prohibition on [...] renting or otherwise
supplying them to third parties"

http://www.blockbuster.co.uk/bbsitec...payperrent.htm