Old November 1st 08, 11:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Stimpy Stimpy is offline

Default Penalty fare increase

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 11:31:55 +0000, MIG wrote
On Nov 1, 10:15*am, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 07:51:24 +0000, Richard Adamfi

wrote:
What I find curious is that you can end up with a criminal record for
fare-dodging, but not for avoiding parking charges.

This is true.

I think it would be far more sensible for the Penalty Fare to be
handled in that way. *It might be reasonable, for short-distance
journeys, for it to be £60, increased to £120 if not paid within a
month, or discounted to £40 if paid on the spot or within 7 days, as
the amounts of money involved are comparable.

If it was set at that sort of level, there would be no need to
prosecute as the railway could avoid losing any actual money from fare
dodgers.

I wouldn't be comfortable with that approach. It's analagous to plea-
bargaining, ie confess early and the punishment is less.

It's not really any different to parking fines, there's often a discount for
early payment.