Old November 2nd 08, 01:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Shepherds Bush Central Line

On 2 Nov, 11:03, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 2 Nov, 04:29, Paul Corfield wrote:

(snip)

I opted to go home via
the Central Line and while the station wasn't packed the obvious
contrast was between the relatively spacious ticket hall and all the old
cramped facilities down below. *The fact everyone spills on to the e/b
platform when heading for the trains doesn't help matters and obviously
the reverse applies for exit.

This might be something you know more than me about, but AFAIK the
whole scheme was planned around TfL paying for "below ground works"
that would give you lifts and a new passageway parallel to the
platform that would take people to the other end. They decided it was
looking way too expensive, and that's why we're where we are.

Vague shades of the abandoned plan for rebuilding Holloway tube
station in connection with the new Arsenal stadium at Ashburton Grove
- though in that instance there wasn't any notion that above ground
and below ground works would be funded differently, instead Arsenal
handed over the agreed amount for transport improvements under the
section 106 agreement and TfL then decided that rebuilding Holloway
Road would be far too expensive so the money would be spent on other
local projects (I think the new entrance and redeveloped bus concourse
and stands at Finsbury Park station were funded out of this pot, as
will be the upcoming Highbury Corner improvements.)