Old November 2nd 08, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Corser Peter Corser is offline

Default Liverpool street bay platform

"Bill Hayles" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 11:48:47 -0700 (PDT), chunky munky
wrote:

Does anyone know if there any plans to bring it back into use ?

No plans to bring it back.

Its nowhere near long enough for the current and future trains either.

Is it not? When in use, it took an 8 car "A" stock without problem.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com

This was taken out of use whilst I was in the LUL Signalling drawing office.

I think there were several reasons why it was taken oos - one practical one
was that the points were very "heavy" and difficult to set (and be kept set)
correctly causing regular rush hour failures. There were numerous attemmpts
to correct them and they never seemed to succeed! IIRC most of the fast
Amershams were booked to turn there in the evening peak and there were
regular problems getting from Harrow to Rickmansworth (the BR diesel service
was non-stop Ricky and most BR drivers seemed to refuse an LUL stop order!).
Another was far more controversial - at that time the area was controlled by
a signal cabin (before the computer control from Baker Street) and the
signalmen were having an industrial dispute about being regraded to
regulators (a higher & better paid job). If the remote control of LS was
removed they would remain as signalmen! We understood this was internal
politics within the Operating Department of the time!

IIRC the bay was due to be taken oos to allow space for building works
elsewhere on the station and was never reinstated. Ppermanent buildings were
placed on the trackbed which results in it not being long enough to accept
any current train length.

Peter
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser