Old November 7th 08, 01:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil  Williams is offline

Default Way to Go

On 7 Nov, 11:29, Adrian wrote:

Perhaps you shouldn't be sat so close behind them? I mean, it's not as if
vans/trucks/buses are any easier to see through/round/over than an SUV,
is it?

Which is rather my point. If it is the mere size of 4x4s that is the
issue for congestion, not the pollution they may emit (that a small,
low sports car may also do), then this should apply to all vehicles of
that size, even electric vans.

The real objection I have to Ken's latest iteration of the Congestion
Charge is that it became a personal vendetta against the 4x4. Not
against large vehicles, not against polluting vehicles, but
specifically against the 4x4. Personal vendettas in politics are
never good, which is probably why I don't like the idea of mayors
anyway (and why I prefer parliamentary rather than presidential
democracy).

No, incidentally, I do not own a 4x4, and even if I did I wouldn't be
wanting to drive it in London.

Boris is as bad for his personal vendetta against the bendy bus.
There are routes in London where they aren't appropriate, of course,
but there are routes (the 73, the Red Arrows) where they are *very*
appropriate and do the job vastly better than any Routemaster ever
did.

Neil