Old November 8th 08, 02:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
D7666 D7666 is offline

Default Visible signs of Thameslink 2000

On Nov 8, 1:26 am, Mr Thant
wrote:

ATO of some form in the central section is in the spec for the new
trains. They're also meant to have three doors per side.

Yes I have read that.

I do not understand how you can spec a train for ATO when it is not
known what that ATO system is.

AFAIW no form of ATO has been decided for trackside. There are ATO
signalling systems that use inductions loops [like Seltrac / LZB] - or
by other radio communication - or by coded track circuits - to name
three types.

All different track:train interface, all different on board train
eqpt. Thales (ex Alcatel), Alstom, Bombardier, Hitachi. GE (of USA),
Invensys (a.k.a. Westinghouse) all offer different ATO products ...
and those are the ones I can think of without researching it; possibly
Siemens and ABB do as well. The current Jubilee line modifications on
1996 stock do not use the orginal Westinghouse kit that the trains
still carried from the original aborted project, they get new docking
loops and antennae and processors and cabling and so on. All different
kit.

I might be wrong, but I do not believe they have drawn up a spec for
the trackside part of ATO yet ? At least not in the public domain.
There is then the complication in the tendering process that a train
maker will probably only offer ''in house'' ATO .

Or is it a composite spec for traisn and trackside ... but if so then
there are one hell of a lot pf pages missing from stuff in the public
domain.

--
Nick