Old November 9th 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mr Thant Mr Thant is offline

Default Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

On 8 Nov, 16:05, Roland Perry wrote:
Talking of which, I went through T123 Underground station earlier today,
and the automatic barriers were taped off, with everyone having to take
a scenic tour of the booking office to get to the escalators. It wasn't
clear why

The signs say "escalator closure trials". I think the station has two
sets of escalators - one beyond the ticket office for people going
in, and one before the ticket office for people leaving, which have
their own gateline that exits directly onto the airport corridor.
Everyone was being sent via the latter.

The thing that may have confused "irregular users and tourists" was the
lack of an obvious Oyster ad to touch in. It was recommended we lean
over the tape and use one of the pads on the inoperative gates.

I noticed after lapping the ticket office that one gate of the exit-
only gateline is actually open and has a standalone reader positioned
next to it between you and the escalator. This is of course no good if
you go in through the normal entrance, or are coming from the ticket
office.