Old November 9th 08, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:15:08 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:27:49 -0000, "John Holt"
wrote:

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

Yes. [...]

The only thing I'd change about it is to have the route announcement
either removed or only announced every few stops, as it's that (not
the stop announcements) that does grate a bit.

I think we could probably do without the spoken route announcement and
just leave it as something to be displayed, like in Paris. Another
feature of the Parisian system is (again, only displayed and not read
out) an estimated journey time to the next major destination and
terminus. This seems to be done in real-time and is quite useful.

I find the route announcement grating only because of the annoying
pauses in it. I had assumed that this was something to be fixed later
but I'm still waiting! Can anyone confirm that iBus installation has
swept away the awful arse-covering door opening and closing
announcements on some London Central/General buses? Now *they* were
annoying.

Richard.