Old November 10th 08, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

"Alek Smart." wrote in message
Errr,Q Have you visited Edinburgh lately..?

Not for a while now no, and the last time I did and used a bus it was a
different experience (not knowing how much it cost for a night bus didn't
help)

Fleet full of absolutely sparkling and totally legible white-on-black
"traditional" scrolls,even the 10 year old buses readable at a distance.

The ones we have here start there life as bright yellow on black and fade
somewhat.

Crisp white backlights AND many vehicles with Side and Rear displays
showing the End Destination also.

The last time I waited in the city for a night bus of the 5 that arrived at
the same time, only 1 had a working back-light. I don't know if the others
had a fault, or where just switched off.

All backed up with Parisian style interior rolling "Next Stop" digital
panels on the newer vehicles.

Crikey,the canny Scots even had "Rugby Special" panels for the Murrayfield
specials on the Via scroll.

I have seen some funny things displayed on buses in London including
'Nottingham' many years ago on one of my then local routes.

The displays used by one of the tourist routes are more what I was thinking.
A big LED number and final destination, with either a fixed 'via' or
scrolling.