Old November 11th 08, 06:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Way to Go

In message k, at
21:52:27 on Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Stimpy remarked:
I do believe we should go to an American system of school buses, and
parents should as a result be prohibited from taking their cars to
schools).

What about those who don't live on a school bus route?

School bus routes are remarkably pervasive.

What about kids driving themselves to school?

American schools generally have sufficiently large car parks that
parking's not a problem. As for traffic, I think that High School hours
are usually somewhat after the morning rush hour (normal businesses open
at 8am, of course).

I appreciate that but the different situation over here would preclude
exclusively adopting the US model

I agree - if nothing else the UK drivers would not give school buses the
sort of priority they automatically get in the USA, and so the schedules
would be toast. The other issue that people perhaps don't appreciate is
that the US school system is fiercely zoned - if you move house you move
school, even if the original one was still "within reasonable range". So
the school buses have quite tightly defined territories to patrol.