Old November 13th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Campbell Smith[_2_] Peter Campbell Smith[_2_] is offline

Default Way to Go

"John Rowland" wrote in
:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message k, at
07:59:55 on Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Stimpy
remarked:
I do believe we should go to an American system of school buses,
and parents should as a result be prohibited from taking their cars
to schools).

What about those who don't live on a school bus route?

School bus routes are remarkably pervasive.

Maybe America doesn't have lots of narrow cul-de-sacs, like England.

Traditional American road layouts don't have many cul-de-sacs (culs-de-
sac? culs-de-sacs?), but nowadays they tend to have them in residential
developments. I lived at the end of one in California for a few years,
and the school bus just stopped at the end of the road.

The buses don't provide a door-to-door service for every kid, at least
not in towns, but where we lived parents seemed to make an effort
through car-sharing and the like to avoid the syndrome I see here of
each child being individually ferried to school.

Peter CS

--
Peter Campbell Smith ~ London ~ pjcs00 (a) gmail.com