Old November 14th 08, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:27:13 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:54:51PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:45:36 +0000, James Farrar
wrote:
I would agree, except that you know it would go "the next stop is big
pause Foo Street"...

And "the next stop" would get annoying.

Only to those who want to be annoyed, which is what started this thread
in the first place. "Foo Street" already annoys those people, so "the
next stop is Foo Street" wouldn't do any harm. "Naechste halt ... Foo
Strasse" doesn't seem to cause any problems on the local Munich trains
that people seem to like using as an example here.

German announcements are more verbose, yes. But I still say stick
with just the stop name, for me extra words don't add anything. The
announcements are necessary, but should be concise (if you want
examples - Paris-style).

BTW I don't think we're *that* far behind anyone else. In my
experience, bus announcements are as rare in Ireland, Spain, Portugal
and Belgium as they are here, and like us they never had a culture of
getting the driver do it as very common in Switzerland - much more fun
when done in a real Swiss accent.

Richard.