Old November 14th 08, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
On 13 Nov, 08:45, James Farrar wrote:
The announcements match the name of the stop as displayed on the flag.
There are some two-part stop names; if you have suggestions for
renaming of particular stops to avoid confusion in those cases, I'm
sure TfL would consider them.

Although they're not terribly consistent in how they read out the
subsidiary part of the stop name.

True. What I would do is add an external speaker to announce the route
umber and destination to passengers waiting to board. That would help
blind passengers, and possibly others. OTOH, it might **** off
residents...

Buses in Chicago have this featu
"This system features exterior announcements and electronic signs that
identify the bus route and its destination when the front doors are
opened. It also includes interior announcements and signs identifying
the next stop."

The U-Bahn in Hamburg also has external speakers, but normally it is just
the driver saying "zeuruck."