Old November 16th 08, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
RobWilton RobWilton is offline

Default London Gatwick Airport Taxi Services [OT]

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message
In message of Sat, 15 Nov 2008
21:20:47 in uk.transport.london, Mike Hughes
writes
In message , Vec Est. 2003
writes

London Gatwick Airport Taxi Services

The book on a taxi trip to the airport from Gatwick to Heathrow from

[snip]

There are several indicators that this is not all they would have you
believe.

First of all this appears to be a Private Hire (minicab) service and not
taxis. The way that they present themselves is also illegal as they are
not allowed to suggest that they are a *taxi* service.

Mike,
If you feel rules are breached, I am sure you have contact details for the
Public Carriage Office.

[snip]

Take a *proper* licensed (black) taxi - you know you are insured and safe.

Strangely, they don't always follow the rules either. e.g. unlawfully
refusing an unattractive fare when plying for hire. Sadly, the PCO seems
to have a policy of warning rather than prosecution for a first offence
which used to happen when the police were in charge of complaints.
There is also the small matter of working wheelchair ramps.

I've never used a Private Hire service. I strongly approve of the quality
of the service offered by London's taxis. I much prefer a black cab to the
green and white saloons used by most Brighton taxis.
--
Walter Briscoe

I'm not suprised black cabs refuse to pick up fairs especially at night,last
night in Goodge street I witnessed two drunken stoned "slags"trying to flag
down a cab while one of them was actually ****ing in the street when one cab
refused they shouted "****" at him & gave the ****** sign, I cannot think of
a more dangerous & unpleasant way of making a crust then driving a cab I
would rather be a street begger then do that job.