Old November 16th 08, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:51:23 -0000, wrote:

Yeah, but people still don't go to the far ends of the platforms,
particularly on the westbound track.

Which means the announcements are superfluous. If people didn't
realise yesterday, the same people (as indeed they are) won't realise
today or tomorrow, announcements or no.

In any case, I'm quite happy that the sheep will continue not to walk
to the end of trains, as it gives me more space.

Do you mean the Met? Yes, I've heard many a time that they have a
holier-than-thou attitude. But still, there are many destinations and
several variants on how to run trains, so it is not surprising that there
are so many announcements.

So announce those - but shut up about the bloody doors!

Announcements like "This train is ready to depart, stand clear of the
doors, mind the doors, mind the doors" are pointless and irritating,
as "beepbeepbeepbeepbeep" conveys that information perfectly well on
its own. If really necessary, give platform staff a whistle, a good,
traditional-railway, non-annoying way of conveying that information
further in advance.

Neil

--
Neil Williams