Old December 4th 03, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Shelley John Shelley is offline

Default Magnetic stripe tickets

Orienteer wrote:
Can anyone help answer a query from a friend in Japan?

He's trying to find information about when magnetic stripe tickets
were first used, and heard that LT had some in the 1960s. Were there
experiments before the current ones were introduced (1980s if I
recall correctly)?

I think it was pre Victoria line opening. I've a set of notes that I got on
a training course many years back about the Rapid Printer (machine for
printing and encoding the original yellow magnetic tickets) that are dated
1968. These wouldn't have been used until the machines were being used so
mid 1960's seems a good starting point. I'll have a deeper delve to see if
anything is filed in the more remote regions of the house.

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx

remove spamnocars to reply