Old November 16th 08, 05:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] billetelic_ferroequinologist@hotmail.com is offline

Default Thameslink KO0 at Kentish Town

On Nov 16, 5:27*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Can someone familiar with ops at Kentish Town explain the current platform
usage?

Are there two platforms normally used for stoppers and two for through
trains and diversions into St Pancras? *AIUI there are junctions both north
and south of the station so trains to St Pancras LL can use either route?

From Quail and also personal observations:

There are two platforms on the TL line (1&2) which are shown as being
reversible on Quail. Platform 3 is the other side of 2, forming an
island, and is designated Up and Down Relief. It can be accessed from
the TL line. Platform 4 (Up and Down Slow) can only be accessed from
St Pancras. There are no platforms on the fast lines.

I was wondering how they will deal with the trains that terminate at Kentish
Town, (vice Blackfriars under KO0). *For instance would the signalling allow
all through trains to use the outer platforms, leaving the middle platforms
(2 and 3) for trains terminating and reversing?

From Quail and signal locations, I would imagine that terminating
trains will use 3, as this does not obstruct the TL lines. This is not
regularly used by passenger trains at present. With 8 trains per hour
in each direction, I imagine the operating people will not want trains
blocking the northbound TL line for any length of time. Trains from
the south cannot arrive at 1.

Will the Kentish Town platforms remain limited to 8 car under the full
Thameslink improvements - I see there is a fair amount of lengthening now
happening at stations northwards to Elstree...

Don't know - the site is very space constrained so platform extensions
could be difficult. Again according to Quail, 2 and 3 are 10 cars long
anyway, so SDO may be sufficient. Don't know if that would be
acceptable for 1, which is 8 car.

HTH.