Old November 18th 08, 08:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
D7666 D7666 is offline

Default Thameslink KO0 at Kentish Town

On Nov 17, 11:47 pm, Mizter T wrote:

*Incredibly* stupid question coming up...

Not stupid.

I presume (perhaps
erroneously)

Not erroneous.

from your talk of Kentish Town and SDO that you are
arguing for SDO to be included in the spec for the new Thameslink
rolling stock, right? If so then how much of a big thing is it to
equip new trains with SDO systems? Perhaps foolishly it seems to me
that (a) it can't be that big a deal and (b) new stock such as that
which will be ordered for Thameslink should arguably have SDO
capabilities installed anyway to ensure the stock is versatile,
adaptable and future-proof.

I agree, the trains will almost certainly be SDO capable if not
enabled.

It is not that, it is if SDO would be permitted or even being looked
at. I am neither arguing for or against SDO, merely trying to
ascertain from those who plan Thameslink program if they are looking
at this, and posting here what I have found so far. If SDO is not
permitted, you do have the capacity caps I have been referring to. If
SDO is permitted, not only does the Kentish Town limiting cap
disappear , but all other stations could have SDO. But it would be
highly unusual, would it not, to have SDO on inner suburban lines - I
am not talking about the TL core, but the routes to Kentish Town and
the north and Elephant & Castle to the south. I can't off the top of
my head think of any heavy traffic inner suburban service that runs
with SDO.

More importantly, lets say Kentish Town does become a permanent 8car
no SDO feature, and lets say the Cricklewood / Brent Cross issue gets
put on the back burner, then the next obvious thing in DfT cost
cutting mindset is ''do you need 12cars at Hendon ?'', then ditto
Leagrave, ditto Harlington. Then, ahh now you don't need as many units
as there are now more 8car and less 12car trains, and so on, and then
go on and apply that to south of the Thames.

Excuse me for being both sceptical and cynical but there been too many
projects that get trimmed back bit by bit when the bean counters
actually start counting individual beans.

--
Nick